Case study: Advocating for change with Mobile – The Digital Champions Campaign
In an era where digital connectivity is at the heart of technical and societal progress, the need for inclusive and widespread access to mobile technology has never been greater.
Enter the Digital Champions initiative for mobile network operator trade body Mobile UK, a sequel to the highly successful #5GCheckTheFacts campaign.
The focus was on calling upon the UK Government to fund a regional network of Digital Champions who would coordinate and prioritise digital connectivity and address nationwide digital exclusion issues.
Building on the momentum of #5GCheckTheFacts, the Digital Champions campaign was created. Public concerns surrounding 5G had been effectively addressed and were less of an issue across the industry, and now it was time to take the next step.
The goal was clear: advocate for creating a network of Digital Champions to bridge the digital divide and ensure the UK remained a global digital powerhouse.
To bring this vision to life, a strategic approach was essential. Materials were meticulously crafted to capture the attention of media, stakeholders, policy influencers, and local government bodies. The overarching aim was to cultivate an investment-friendly environment, balancing regulation to ensure the UK continues to compete on a world scale in technology innovation.
Six key objectives guided the campaign:
• Influence and change national policy
• Build rapport with opinion formers and industry influencers
• Raise awareness of issues and barriers to mobile infrastructure deployment
• Showcase best practice
• Grow Mobile UK’s public profile
• See digital champions in more local authorities
The results of the Digital Champions campaign were far-reaching:
- We hosted a Parliamentary Reception and secured attendance from the Minister of State for Media, Data and Digital Infrastructure
- We created a #MeetTheChampions video series to showcase best practice and innovation featuring industry leaders, innovators and digital commentators
- We staged a local authority webinar to raise awareness and build advocacy in partnership with the Local Government Association
- We continued our established content programme across all owned channels
The true impact, however, lay in the campaign’s contribution to national policy changes. The recommendation to promote Digital Champions within local authorities was incorporated into the UK Wireless Infrastructure Strategy, signalling a monumental shift in priorities.
The Northern Ireland Government launched a Mobile Action Plan, emphasising the need for Digital Champions to overcome planning barriers. Similarly, Wales rolled out a Wales Action Plan, recognising the urgent need for reform and identifying obstacles to effective mobile infrastructure deployment.
The Digital Champions campaign was more than a call to action; it was a catalyst for change. It exemplified the power of collective effort and strategic advocacy in shaping the digital landscape.
Ready to make a difference together? Reach out to us today, and let’s embark on new initiatives that drive change and innovation in the digital realm.